A good subwoofer can instantly enhance a car’s sound system. For those who love loud, thumping music in their cars, 18 inch subwoofer would be their best bet.
To choose the best 18 inch subwoofer, here is a review of the essential features to be looked into before making the final decision.
What to look for when Buying 18 inch subwoofers?
* You might be a music enthusiast and the 18 inch subwoofer in the market seems to be calling out to you time and again, but before purchasing one, you will need to find out if it fits into your car properly.
Large subwoofers are great for loud music but the purchase also needs to be backed by practicality.
* 18 inch subwoofer tend to produce a lower frequency and although they do have higher SPLs, their sound quality might be a little wobbly if not bought with prior knowledge.
It is important to look for 18 inch subwoofer that would produce loud music along with high quality.
* The enclosure of a subwoofer plays an important role in determining the sound quality that it emits. An 18 inch subwoofer would thus need a larger enclosure that fits.
Not all cars can accommodate larger enclosures. This is an important factor to consider before investing in one.
These factors would help you to make an informed decision regarding 18 inch subwoofer and also help you to buy the best available in the market.
Among the range of options available, one product has the highest rating on Amazon and fulfils all the criteria of being the best 18 inch subwoofer. Let’s take a look at its essential features:
- It is a high power subwoofer with a blue injection cone that is molded.
- It has a dual voice coil for a more enhanced effect.
- It has a specially treated rubber edge suspension that is non-fatiguing in nature.
- It has a chrome steel basket that ensures its durability.
- The chrome plating looks great; there is no cheap plastic on the entire frame so that is an added advantage.
- Its price is its most irresistible feature. A lot of people who wouldn’t want to invest in high-end subs would love this model because of the features it offers along with a lucrative price.
- If it is coupled with a really strong amplifier, its efficiency would increase a lot more.
Affordable price and amazing features make this model the best 18 inch subwoofer for your car’s sound system.
Skar Audio ZVX-18v2 18 1500 Watt RMS Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer
Everyone today wants power audio. Whether you’re listening to hard metal at top volume or soft melodies at a subdued volume, you need an audio system that packs a punch.
Customized audio systems are the new mantra and Skar’s latest ZVX-18v2 18″ 1500 Watt RMS Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer ticks all the right boxes.
It offers good quality sound at both high as well as low volumes. This subwoofer system is kind of an upgrade of the 1 Ohm subwoofer, which was quite the powerful line of Skar’s subwoofers.
The ZVX subwoofer range is Skar’s flagship line and this line of woofers is the result of extensive research and development.
This 18-inch Dual 2Ohm subwoofer has a 3-inch Voice Coil. It’s a high temperature coil and the subwoofer also has the best cooling system, so you can keep the music on at full blast for a long time without worrying about overheating your system.
Skar claims that this subwoofer will elevate your speaker system to another level. Price wise, this might edge a little over the reasonable range, and that is true only if you look at online deals. Sites like Amazon and eBay are selling this subwoofer at around $500. Luckily, shipping is free.
- Distortion Design that’s Ultra-Low
- 1500 Watts RMS Power
- 18-inch ZVXv2, i.e. second version Subwoofer
- Flat Would 8 layer, 3-inch Voice Coil
- Competitive Grade Paper Cone
- This 18-inch Subwoofer is designed for customized box systems, it has a depth of 15.2 inches and an outer diameter and cut out, both measuring 18.2 inches.
- The mounting hardware of this subwoofer is of a superior quality.
- It is built to process and reproduce low vibrations beautifully. This is because of the paper cone, which is high quality.
- The 1500 watts RMS allows this speaker to reproduce deep, high vibrations equally well.
- The subwoofer does not come in a customized box.
- The Voice Coil wiring is CCAW, unlike the new DVC sub wires that are more adaptable.
- While websites like Amazon offer this at almost 40 percent discount, at approximately $500, it’s not exactly budget friendly.
This is a feature rich subwoofer that is ideal for customized audio systems. Most importantly, this one is perfect for those who like their music loud and that is how they like it all the time.
Though the price is not exactly budget friendly, it is an amazingly durable and reliable subwoofer, which in the long run will provide excellent value for money.
Lanzar DCTOA18D Distinct Open Air DVC Distinct Series 18-Inch
Finding the perfect high power open air woofer can be a daunting task with a number of options available in the market.
Take note of Lanzar’s DCTOA Subwoofers with 18 inch high power IB open free-air 4 Ohm woofer. This woofer will grant your vehicle a crisp distortion free sound in tight spaces.
It can be mounted anywhere in your car and gives a great sound without the box. These speakers are great for customized situations.
- The speakers are 18 inches and considered open air because it has no speaker box.
- It has a DVC which is a dual voice coil which allows for more ohm diversity.
- The subwoofer has a barium ferrite magnet dual 3’’ high temp voice coils which make sounds so crisp like the band is right beside you.
- It has a stamped steel basket that makes the entire unit very durable.
- It handles from 300 watts to 600 watts max.
- It has a frequency response rate of 30-1.8kHz.
- Firstly, the versatility of these speakers is most impressive. The simple fact that these speakers don’t need a custom box for smaller custom vehicle installations make it a perfect choice due to IB (infinite baffle).
- The second feature is the price. At Amazon one speaker is usually available from $280-$290 but it is on sale for 58% off making it even more irresistible along with free shipping. For the superior sound it provides, that is an incredible deal.
- Finally, the other feature is that they are available in single and dual voice coil styles which make it versatile for all speaker applications and needs.
The only downside found is that in some applications if speaker is enclosed too tight there will not be as impressive low bass reproduction.
The speaker does need a little wiggle room to make the sound even better. So, depending on the application you will want to consider how tight the situation will be, unless you want to compromise a little in the sound versus space constraints.
You also can consider making a customized box for the speaker if you want the awesome sound it does deliver when it is performing in open air.
This is a great price for 1 speaker that will give a tremendously high output of sound with a dual coil system. The versatility and max wattage is very competitive and worth every penny.
Since very tight spaces may compromise sound, you may want to consider a custom box, but all-in-all it is a superior subwoofer.
DS18 TM-SN18 Troublemaker 18-Inch SPL Competition Neodymium Magnets 5,000 Watts RMS 7,500 Watts Max Subwoofer
So you are putting together your audio system in your car and you want it to grab everybody’s attention? For this you need the right components and speakers as well as some brilliant sub-woofers.
Only then can you achieve that massive thump in your music that will make heads turn. Then go no further and get the DS18 TM-SN18 Troublemaker 18-inch SPL Competition 7500 Watt Subwoofer.
One of the strongest and baldest of all SPL Competition Grade Sub-woofers, this is made especially for the Fanatics and Audiophiles. With this you can break all competition records and pump music all along the way.
The sub-woofer is packed with the following features,
- 7500 Watt maximum Power output and 5000 Watts RMS power.
- 6 high strength neodymium magnets.
- 4 inch black aluminium 6-layer voice coil.
- 6-layer spider.
- Red colour Aluminium Basket.
- Large foam edge and paper with Glass Fibre cone.
- Weights 80 pounds.
- Dimensions: 19” x 19” x 25”.
- 18” speaker which is 14” deep.
- The quality of sound it produces is unbeatable.
- It supports 7500 Watts maximum power which is unmatched by other speakers.
- The 6 neodymium magnets offer superior sound quality.
- Its long life is guaranteed by the 6-layer spider.
- The 6-layer voice coil is the biggest compared to other brands.
- It has a very unique design.
- The sound produced is extremely powerful with a high output to match, they can handle sound pressure above 170 DB.
- This is a very expensive sub-woofer but with features so irresistible, you wouldn’t mind paying the extra money.
- It requires a 12 Volt battery for operation of the speakers. So it is always advisable to have a couple of spares handy and you will not have an issue in running it.
- It is sometimes so loud that you may attract the attention of security forces.
Should you buy this subwoofer?
Yes, if you are willing to shell out the extra money, this is a subwoofer worth buying. The DS18 is comparatively new in the Auto market, but has carved a name for it with its unmatched quality and amazing power of 7500 Watts.
It’s not only about the quantity but also about the quality of music that this beast can provide. So if you wish to raise your music to the highest level, then this is the sub-woofer for you.
Pyle PL1890BL 18-Inch 1800 Watt DVC Subwoofer
Many auto-owners want a sub-woofer for their car. The entire quality of sound gets enhanced once these sub-woofers are in place.
Pyle ranks among one of the top brands producing these sub-woofers. Their PL1890BL 18” 1800 Watt DVC Sub-Woofer is the largest of all which can be installed in the car as well as in your house.
This can be easily installed at the back, behind the rear seats of the car. Its moulded cone shape with blue injection gives the assistance of a rubber suspension.
It is packed with a horde of wonderful features,
- 1800 Watt max power handling.
- Blue injection moulded cone.
- Non-fatiguing big rubber suspension.
- Blue Chrome-Plated steel basket.
- Bumped Vented Extended Pole Piece
- Silver Plated Terminal.
- Flat Progressive Spider
- New Wave-Like Rubber Gasket.
- Rubber Magnet Boot
- Has a 3” High Temperature Dual Kapton Voice Coil
- Its Impedance is 4 Ohm (per coil)
- The Magnet Weights 2×100 oz
- The Silver plated terminal provides distortion free sound.
- You get assistance of rubber suspension with their blue injected cone.
- This Pyle subwoofer does not only sound great, but look great too.
- In any type of enclosure whether it is sealed, vented or open-air, the music will boom.
- As it comes with two 100 oz Magnet, Non-fatiguing big rubber suspension and rubber magnet boot all enhances the sound and make it sound great.
- Even though it has a power of 1800 Watts, you cannot put 8 average speaker wires into the terminal.
- Its frame is not very rigid like cast aluminium.
- The dust cap sometimes just pops of the sub-woofer due to vibrations.
- It needs a strong amplifier to get its full power out.
Should you buy Pyle PL1890BL 18-Inch 1800 Watt DVC Subwoofer?
This sub-woofer is build specifically for the bass lovers. When you need high quality music along with earth shattering bass, and looking for greatest feasible efficiency then this is the sub-woofer you need to buy.
Having the flexibility to install both in the car and the house this product offers a great buy at less than 90 dollars.
X-18 D2 – Sundown Audio 18 Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer
Are you looking for lowest levels of distortion from your car subwoofer? Then the X-18 D2 Sundown Audio 18” Dual 2-OHM X Series Subwoofer may be the one for you.
It has been exclusively designed to set a new standard in the low frequency/ small ported box subwoofer category. It is designed specifically for those who want the lowest level bass extension while low levels of distortion are maintained.
This X-18 D2 Sundown Audio 18” Dual 2-OHM X Series from Sundown is packed with a lot of features
- 18” 6-spoke with a custom tooled adapter.
- 10” diameter spider.
- Triple stacked 190 mm motor structure with hyper extended pole and extreme clearances.
- 3” diameter 4-layer CCAW coils on thick black aluminium former.
- 1500 Watt RMS power.
It comes with the following dimensions,
- Depth of 10.25”
- Outside Diameter: 18.42”
- Cut-Out: 16.69”
- Ported: 7.00 ft^3
- Displacement: 0.23 ft^3
The company recommends tuning of 32 Hz and a port area of 112 in^2.
- All the X-series from sundown offers “ultra high excursion” suspension and frame designs and this model is no exception.
- With its incredibly linear suspension they help to maintain the lowest level of distortion and are high excursion bass transducers.
- They will work in traditionally small enclosures and up to 50% larger enclosures for maximum amount of low frequency extension.
- The typical “punchy” upper-bass peak in 40s-60s Hz which happens in other subwoofers when pushed to high excursion does not occur in this model due to its low level of suspension.
At any range of bass, with these features the subwoofer provides only a constant and flat response to any volume level.
- This is not a SPL woofer for those looking for traditional form of subwoofers.
- You cannot enjoy your bass sounds to the full level as they are maintained to provide lowest level of frequency.
- The look and style of the subwoofer is not that great.
- You would need good door speakers as the bass may drown out the vocals at times.
Should you buy X-18 D2 – Sundown Audio 18 Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer?
Priced at less than $500, this subwoofer is for all those who want no distortion at the lowest frequency possible. Once you listen to all your favourite numbers on this low distortion subwoofer, it is unlikely that you will go back to other models.